Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Time for Everything

In the summer of 2009 I restarted my journey in college through the encouragement of my then boyfriend. I am thankful that I took his advice and decided to make a goal and stick with it. The journey has been difficult but many times rewarding.

I began with my general classes with the goal of becoming a nurse. Being a single mom, being in school, and working a lot made it difficult for me to fully focus on my goal and I deterred a little. I felt like I was going in circles and was going through a tough breakup that left me wondering what I am supposed to do in life. When I didn't get into the program I switched my focus to teaching and Biology. I enjoyed my time in participating in the education department at Southern but still wanted to be a nurse. My mom suggested I apply at Antillean Adventist University in Puerto Rico and I took a BIG shot in the dark. Within 10 days of being accepted to the program I quit my job and moved to Puerto Rico to begin my journey to become a nurse (crazy move I know). Thankfully my parents were open and took on the responsibility of my girl. I have faced many difficulties being here but I have survived the many lonely, empty days without my biggest fan, my daughter Aryana. I have made it through the difficulties of bad food (that made me sick) and the language barrier, to name a few. 

Two years later not only do I leave this place with one degree but with the completion of two degrees: my Associates and Bachelors in Nursing. Never would've thought I would accomplish this. I want to thank God for all of his mercies and blessings, my family for taking care of my daughter when I have been gone and being there us, my fiancé for his many nights of praying with me,supporting me, and encouraging me to get through it, and for my many friends who prayed for me and offered continuous encouragement.

I have made a handful of friends here that I consider to be my family and I love to the utmost. 

In just a few days my journey here in Puerto Rico will be over. It's said: "All good things must come to an end", yes that is true, but I have a feeling the good things will continue. I was reminded this morning that in the bible says in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 that there is a right time for everything and that time, I have learned, is not my own.

Although at certain times along the way I have thought what I am doing here, I see it was more of God's time to work in my life. Thankful for the time that I have had here in Puerto Rico and the struggles and joys. Please pray for me in the new journey as I study for NCLEX and be mommy again, as well as plan a wedding! 

1 comment:

  1. Always thinking about you even if I'm not able to talk to you much. I'm so happy for you and for your next journey in life! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete